On Sunday, September4, 1836, eleven residents of the recently platted town of Goshen, met in the home of Mr. E. Manning, "to consider the propriety of being constituted into a church", as the minutes of that meeting recorded. The "First Regular Baptist Church" of Goshen, Indiana, was born and has been used by God for almost 180 years since.
After meeting in homes, the Elkhart County Courthouse, and the Waterloo school for a number of years, on Sunday, August 14, 1859, the church members held the first services in their newly built church building on the corner of 6th and Washington streets. In early 1876, this structure was sold and moved to 3rd street and a new brick structure was erected on the same site and dedicated on Sunday, December 23, 1877.
On Sunday, May 19, 1968, the current building located at the corner of Plymouth and Indiana avenues, on 12 acres of land, was dedicated. In 1984, the building size was doubled with the addition of 7 classrooms, a large kitchen, and gymnasium.The Rev./Dr. Greggory Lanzen is the 39th and current lead pastor having served in this capacity since 1997, and as the associate pastor from 1981-1996 under Rev. Louis Showers.